Monday, October 13, 2008

Why the Adherent?

Some of you might be wondering why I chose the name "The Adherent" for my blog, a somewhat odd word. But the main reason I chose the name is because the chief purpose of man is to Glorify God and to enjoy Him forever (Westminster catechism Q. #1). And how do we know how to do that? Q. 2. What rule hath God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him? A. The Word of God, which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him. So we must study God's word, the Holy Bible. Q. 3. What do the Scriptures principally teach? A. The Scriptures principally teach, what man is to believe concerning God, and what duty God requires of man. Therefore we must use it for our foundation, the starting point for all our debates. We use it to decide our major decisions, ALL our decisions! We adhere to God, and to His every word.
When I was searching for a name for this blog, I looked up “follow” in the dictionary. I came up with words like accompany, imitate, copy, etc. but my favorites were: pursue, adhere, and consequential. When deciding between these names, I looked them up, and the definition of adhere is:

Adhere v. i.
1.
To stick to, as glutinous substances, or by natural growth
2.
To be joined, or held in contact; to cleave to.
3.
Figuratively, to hold to, be attached, or remain fixed, either by personal union or conformity of faith, principle, or opinion.

Adherent n.
1.
The person who adheres; one who follows a leader, part or profession; a follower, or partisan; a believer in a particular faith or church.

So what happens is, you pursue to adhere, then you are consequential. Now, since no one is perfect, no one can be totally adherent, but this blog is dedicated to the pursuit of adherence, Adherence to the only absolute point of reference. So my friends, brothers and sisters in Christ, I want you to adhere. To glue yourself to the bible. One great way to do this is scripture memorization. And speaking of scripture, my blog verse is Mark 8:34:
"And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (KJV)
This verse contains the word follow, which is essentially adherence. (Take up his cross and adhere to me.)
Thank you for reading,
The Adherent
TheAdherent@gmail.com




1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for commenting on my blog... not-unto-us...

    wanted to say i enjoyed yours too, thanks for the good work and Christ honoring posts. I've got two new posts up on my blog if you wanted to read them.

    Thanks again and God Bless

    ReplyDelete